Pro-Ject Audio Systems has just introduced a new model to their Box Designs line-up of products – the DAC Box RS. The DAC Box RS is a reference-class D/A converter for all types of digital stereo sound sources and features a linear Solid-State Class-A or selectable tube output stage. It accomodates USB, an I•S interface plus Master Clock output for use with CD Box RS. It also suits other digital sources with AES/EBU, optical and coaxial output.
Setting the DAC Box RS apart from much of the competition is its full DSD capability (up to DSD128) over PCM. As well, all inputs fully support 24/192kHz HD music data (optical inputs 96/24) in fully asynchronous mode. All Box RS components are fully balanced, with both balanced (XLR) and single-ended (RCA) input and output. The I•S interface with separate master clock output allows for perfect partnering with the Pro-ject CD Box RS, for the lowest possible jitter connection. The entire audio circuit design is ultra-low-noise and ultra-linear, with very low output impedance to avoid any negative interference with cables or pre-amps.
In all Pro-Ject top class digital products, like DAC Box RS (double), Stream Box RS and DAC Box DS (single), a TI 1792 24/192 DAC chip is used, combined with a tube output configuration. Pro-ject claims that this TI DAC chip is “the most expensive on the market!”.
• Double top grade PCM-1792 D/A chip from Texas Instruments
• 9 Inputs: USB, AES-EBU, optical (Toslink), coax (S/PDIF)
• 24bit/192kHz asynchronous USB (XMOS technology)
• DSD (up to DSD128) capability (DSD over PCM)
• I²S interface for CD Box RS (sonic2data transfer technology) with additional clock synchronisation port (BNC)
• 2 selectable digital filter settings
• Fully balanced analogue audio circuitry
• Tube output stage & solid-state output stage (switchable)
• Ultra linear & ultra low noise circuitry
• IR remote control included
• XLR & RCA line level output sockets
• Full metal casing in silver or black
The addition of the linear power supply “Power Box RS uni” (retail price €399) adds even more depth and lets the listener hear all the microscopically fine details.
The Pro-ject DAC Box RS is currently available at a MSRP of: € 899 in both silver and black finishes. North American pricing is yet to be announced. Look for more details at: http://www.project-audio.com/.