Terms & Conditions

/Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions2016-02-24T17:03:23+00:00

Warranty Policy

All new accessories and equipment are sold with manufacturer warranty. CANADA HiFi does not offer any expressed or implied warranties beyond those stated herein from the manufacturer. We are not responsible for any consequential or indirect damages incurred from improper use or handling (eg: static electricity, soldering, shorting, etc…) No warranties apply if the goods are in any way altered or modified after delivery by CANADA HiFi or its carriers.

It will be at the sole discretion of the manufacturer or distributor whether an item is to be repaired or replaced. The customer will be responsible for any shipping charges.

Return Policy

Products can be returned within 15 days of the delivery date to the customer. If the product has not been opened, the customer will be refunded the full purchase price (minus the shipping costs, both ways) in the form of a store credit. If the product has been opened and is in a like-new condition, with all original packaging, a 25% restocking fee will apply and the remaining 75% of the purchase price will be offered to the customer in form on a store credit.

  • Before sending anything back you must contact us via email or phone with the following information:
  1. Your invoice number
    2. Reason for return

We will provide you with a Return Materials Authorization (RMA) number, once your return request has been approved.

PLEASE NOTE: We cannot accept any product at our processing centre without this number. Products sent without an authorization number will be shipped back to the recipient.

  • The cost of shipping is not refundable.
  • Return shipping is the responsibility of the customer and must be insured and traceable.
  • It is the customer’s sole responsibility for untraceable and uninsured lost items.
    Please allow 2-4 weeks for credit to be issued.

If I order today, when can I expect to receive my order?

  • Stocked products, orders will be shipped within 1-2 business days upon receipt of order. For other products, we will notify you of the approximate delivery date.

Can I purchase online and pick up my order?

  • CANADA HiFi does not have a pickup location.


  • If you have any questions about products available for purchase on our website or store policies, please contact:

George de Sa at george@novo.press or

Suave Kajko at skajko@novo.press

We can also be reached by phone at 416-767-2495