McIntosh Laboratory has just announced its flagship home theater preamplifier, the MX151 A/V Control Center, for consumers who want the ultimate reference standard in high-performance audio processing. The MX151, which replaces the MX150, provides the purest, most realistic audio experience possible from all of today’s content sources with the most advanced on-board RoomPerfect auto-equalization. It includes assignable balanced input and outputs and a dedicated analog phono section, as well as precision-tuned bass and treble tone controls. The MX151 also features a leading edge video processing engine with HDMI 3D.
Dual Zone feature allows you to play different media simultaneously in two separate rooms with independent program selection and control. The vast array of digital and analog inputs can be custom labeled for simplified system operation and matched in volume level for a smooth transition between sources. Assignable balanced input and outputs, an analog phono section, bass and treble controls and optional processing up to 7.1 multi-channel using Dolby Pro Logic IIx or DTS Neo:6 all enhance the two channel audio experience of the MX151.
The MX151?s unprecedented flexibility allows custom system design and function for every environment. Control options include traditional IR-remote, web based GUI, and interfacing with all third party control systems. Audio options for up to 12 channels, multiple subwoofers, or bi-amping of speaker systems are built in.
Designed to serve as ultimate-quality “nerve center” of a total home entertainment system the MX151 provides even better audio performance than their just announced MX121 A/V Control Center. However, the higher-end MX151 does not include AirPlay wireless audio streaming, DLNA, or video upscaling even though it’s more than double the price. The features in bold below show the differences between the MX121 and MX151.
- ULTRA LOW DISTORTION (DSP BYPASS): 0.005%
- CHANNEL FORMATS: Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, Stereo Subwoofers
- BALANCED INPUT: 2 sets-Stereo
- BALANCED OUTPUTS: 7.1, + 2 AUX front channels
- UNBALANCED INPUTS: 8 Stereo + Moving Magnet Phono, 7.1 Input
- UNBALANCED OUTPUTS: 7.1 + 2 Aux front channels
- DIGITAL INPUTS: 4-coax, 4-optical, 1- AES/EBU Balanced
- DIGITAL OUTPUT: None
- HDMI INPUTS: 5 – With advanced HD audio processing, 3D video pass-through
- HDMI OUTPUTS: One – Zone A, with advanced HD audio processing, 3D video pass-through
- COMPONENT IN AND OUT: 5 in and 2 out
- COMPOSITE/S IN AND OUT: 2 in and 2 out
- ADDITIONAL ZONE OUTPUTS: One Stereo: Zone B, Analog audio/video
- MAX. # OF AUDIO CHANNELS IN ZONE A: 12
- DSP ROOM CORRECTION: RoomPerfect, 1/12 octave
- MICROPHONE AND STAND INCLUDED: Yes
- ADVANCED CONNECTIONS: Ethernet Web interface GUI, USB Firmware update
- NETWORK FEATURES: Ethernet Control and Setup
- UNIQUE X-OVER FREQUENCY, EACH SPEAKER: Yes
- SPECIAL FEATURES: Up to 121 input capability, Front Stereo Bi-amp + LFE Sub
- THIRD PARTY CONTROL: RS232, Web IP, IR Input
- TONE CONTROLS: Bass and Treble
- OSD OVERLAY ON HDMI OUTPUT: Yes
- INPUT-OUTPUT FORMAT INDICATORS: 9 in and 9 out
- CONTROL OF MCINTOSH SOURCES: Yes, wired with data cables
- VIDEO SCALING: None, transcode only to HDMI
- DOLBY PROCESSING: True HD/Digital, EX/ProLogic IIx
- DTS PROCESSING: HD Master & High Res. Audio/ES/96/24, Discrete & Matrix6.1, Neo:6
- PURE STEREO DSP BYPASS MODE: Yes
- WEIGHT: 31 lbs. (14.09kg) net, 55 lbs (25kg) shipping
- DIMENSIONS: 17 1/2″ (44.45cm) W x 7 5/8″ (19.37cm) H x 19 1/2″ (49.53cm) D
Price and Availability
The McIntosh MX151 A/V Control Center is available for $12,500.
For more info, please visit www.mcintoshlabs.com